Sunday 31 December 2017

Light the World 2017 Brook

Light the world challenge.

This Christmas season we have been challenged to Light the world by following the example and teachings of our saviour Jesus Christ and by serving others.
Before we began the program we met together as a family to discuss what we would like to achieve and how we would go about it. During the family home evening the kids came up with their own ideas and who we would like to focus our love towards. I really felt the spirit of this initiative and made a commitment to see it through with my family.

The first day came around and we wondered how we could give to someone anonymously. We put together $20 of our combined money and placed it into an envelope. The kids went and dropped it at the door of our neighbour who rents the small house from us and during the last few months has had a couple of financial hiccups. We really felt that he would benefit from having a few extra dollars around.

As the days wore on we continued reading the scriptures and watching the linked videos for light the world. I had also come across a 25 day reading challenge about the Saviour that related to Christmas and we began implementing that with our light the world challenge too.

Our home became a happier and more spiritual place, we were always on the lookout for ways to show love and kindness towards each other and we looked for ways to light the world in our everyday lives.

Day 5 was also a very special day. The scripture from Matthew 15:4 “Honour thy Mother and thy Father” meant a lot to us. We decided to lead this one by example to our children. After dropping the kids off to School, Mesha and I went and visited my parents at their business. They were surprised to see us and we just sat there for a while talking and chatting. It was really nice. We sit with them at church and we catch each other during the week fairly often, in fact we speak on the phone most days to them, but it was nice to make an intentional visit to just chat and relax and let them know that we love, honour and respect them.

Some of our kid’s friends have troubled lives. One just recently had her Dad jailed, while another has had her Mum die and lives with her Nan, Others have split family relationships or have been subjected to fighting and abuse in the home. We have been able to reach out to each of these children and invite them to our youth program. The Youth have treated them beautifully and they have felt loved and accepted. A couple of my daughter’s friends stayed over the night and you could see the impact of being in a home where both parent love and support each other and provide a kind and loving home environment for their children. While these young people were over they looked at my photo studio and framing workshop. They were really amazed at some of the work that I had produced over the year and so we offered to do some nice portraits for them that they could present to their family/carers. We took some photographs and then we began teaching them how to frame the pictures up. On Christmas eve we delivered the framed pictures wrapped up to their homes along with a little cash to buy themselves something.

One of my Son’s friends has also had troubles in his life. Both his parents have been in and out of jail and involved in drugs for a long time. We have often had him stay at our house because he is to afraid to go home. I have met with his Mother in the past and tried helping her move forward. We decided to make their Christmas a little nicer this year and dropped some groceries and fresh fruit. We left it with the daughter, as the mother was out, but later that evening she sent me a message which read “ Just got home thank u very much n hope you have a Merry XMAS N NEW YEAR. IFwe don’t C U’s N may the Lord B wit U’s all n keep u’s safe n sound xxx.
It was a joy to here that they felt blessed from our gift.

During some work I need to attend to on site I worked in the same team as guy who I had a pretty big run in with on the last job. I was surprised to see that he was back, but was unsurprised that he was just going to ignore me during our entire time there together. During a previous job, I had pushed his buttons and although I felt I was able to move on from it and continue to work with him, he had another tactic in mind. For the entire week we barely looked each other, it seemed like the way to go so that we didn’t add any further fuel to the fire. On the last day (Day 18 – Light the World) we were on site, I pledged to take the challenge to Forgive men their trespasses (Matthew 6:14) and make amends by sincerely apologizing to him. During this job he was causing a lot of problems and upsetting many people and so this was hard to do as I was frustrated at him for this. I built up the courage to do this only to find out he had been stood down for causing problems on site with others. I thought my opportunity had passed and reasoned with myself that it was the thought that counted. Later that night we flew home and after getting off the plane I made my approach. When I first came up to him he seemed cautious and weary of my presence. I firstly thanked him for keeping an eye on me while we did a dangerous job together. I wished him and his family a safe and Merry Christmas and then I apologized for stirring him up during the last job. His reaction caught me by surprise, he thanked me for approaching him and wished me and my family a safe and merry Christmas too, then he extended his hand to me and we shook hands. I really felt the spirit confirm the goodness in this there and then and have felt that same feeling each time since when I have spoken about it. 

One of our favourite Christmas traditions is to Christmas carol at people’s homes. My parents were introduced to this when my mother first joined the church and we have been doing it every year since, which is now 40 years old. After surprisingly having to go away for work just before Christmas, I thought that the opportunity may have slipped past. With only a couple of days left on the calendar we booked in a night and sent out invitations to some dear friends to join us.
Carrying on a that 40-year family tradition, several families from the Greenmount ward gathered together in a combined light the world activity to sing Christmas carols at the homes of members in the local community. The convoy of 8 cards patrolled the neighbourhood bring good cheer and glad tidings to those who needed uplifting. A sweet spirit of love was brought to the homes of up to 20 people including several widows, one who had lost her husband at Christmas time last year. Other highlights included one last final carol to a two-time Bishop of the ward who is moving after 50 years in the area. Many tears of joy flowed and hugs were shared by all. To finish the night, the children belted out a spirited "we wish you a Merry Christmas " song to the staff at McDonald's after a final ice cream treat. 
Sharon a non-member of the Church sent a message after having carols sang at her doorstep "....Thankyou for the carols tonight. They made my sadness go away. You guys are amazing and beautiful people. We need more people in the world like you guys!!Thanks again!! Love you all.



No comments:

Post a Comment